Monday, May 18, 2009

IN-JOY L.I.F.E.!


What’s up my good people?! Do you remember the days when you could run around during recess without a care in the world? You weren’t concerned about the recession, bills, gas rates, if you were going to be on time to this or that meeting, all that “grown folk” stuff…lol What happens to us along the way that makes us become stiff, jaded, and sometimes bitter adults? What changes us? Some might say, “Life happens.”

Today I closed my eyes and was immediately a child again. While sitting outside watching my students participate in recess I heard the laughs. I felt the joy. Nothing could distract from this moment. It was a WOW moment! To add more laughter to the moment, one of the kids said, “Mr. Mike, I can’t sit out here another minute.” I looked to him stretched my arms to the sky, smiled, and responded with, “Can you honestly say you do not want to be out here (outside)?”

The student earnestly turned and looked me in my eyes and said, “Mr. Mike, I do not want to spend another minute out here.” I almost fell to the ground laughing because he was so serious, and he simply answered my question. Kids say the “darndest things”, usually the truth, and we just don’t want to hear it. But today this child’s truth was indicative of so many adults and many sedentary children in our culture. He did not want to IN-JOY nature or the moment. While other children were walking, running, laughing, playing, acting, singing, etc., he was sitting like a bump on a log COMPLAINING! He was concerned about getting back inside and doing exactly, totally, a big bunch of NOTHING! LoL

And the irony of it all was that I chased him back inside the school, and we zig-zagged & laughed the entire way both returning back to the classroom happier than before we came outside!

Now that’s TRUE L.I.F.E.!

4 L.I.F.E.!

Mike:)

No comments: